Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pig out on Bo Sau & IKEA Meatballs: CF Currie Barracks II



I wasn't intending to get up early to go to another WOD at CrossFit Currie Barracks on my last day in Calgary, but I was compelled to by the guilt for all the pigging out I did. 

The pigging out included two straight nights of eating Bo Sau, a Vietnamese meal that we normally only have on semi-special occasions.  That's because it involves frying beef, onions and squid (others eat it) on a skillet right at the table, and it will make your clothes and your house smell like fried onions. 

You then roll the meat, onions with some greens and rice noodles up in a rice wrap that's been softened by water.  You dip the roll in a fishy sauce (whiteys like me used the same sauce you'd dip spring rolls in, VN people use a fishier sauce that also has pineapple chunks in it) and stuff it in your mouth. 

See the picture below for everything that's involved: 


It's greasy, smelly, time-consuming and abso-fucking-lutely delicious.  It is impossible to eat a moderate amount of this stuff. 

By the way, a few hours before our first Bo Sau night, I found myself in IKEA, and decided that I simply had to take advantage of their delicious and economical meatball meal. 

Did I mention I also tried deep fried pickles for the first time when I was in Calgary?  They're AMAZING, by the way.  

We also got these cupcakes from a place called "Bliss."  Not so much cupcakes as much as giant piles of icing.  They were okay... I only ate mine and 3/4 of the Wife's. 

See, people, this is why I need to do CrossFit.  I am a relentless eating machine.  Without CrossFit, this is me...




So, back to CF Currie Barracks I went. 

Another vigorous warm-up, and then it was time for:

Elizabeth

21-15-9

Squat cleans  (135lbs)
Ring dips   

Took me 13:29. 

That's not the fastest I've ever done it, (see sidebar) but it's possible that the time I've listed a PR for I did power cleans and just didn't specify in the blog.  Or maybe I was just slower this time around.  Either way, I'm  okay with that. 


We followed up with a 500m row.  I did that in 1:43.5.   



1 comment:

Leya said...

I need to eat Bo Sau. NEED.