Thursday, June 7, 2012

Beware black cats



As I was driving to the gym today, I saw a black cat cross the street about a block ahead of me.  I could have turned around and gone a different route to the gym. Even though I would like to avoid any bad luck at the moment, I was already short on time and I figured it was just a superstition.

Clearly I'm a dumbass...

A. Muscle-up practice

Yup, still can't do muscle-ups.  So I decided to practice jumping MUs, and it was going okay, until I lowered the box by -- I'm not exaggerating -- about two inches. 

Then, after a couple of unsuccessful attempts and one successful one, I had a bit of a mishap.  My right arm basically lost control and twisted behind my back and up toward my head, as I was still holding onto the ring. 

I freaked out a bit, not knowing how serious it was.  After the initial flash of pain and my subsequent profanity, it didn't appear to be all that bad, and I finished the other two parts of the workout. 

As I write this, the shoulder is a little stiff but I seem to have the full range of motion.  I'm icing it and taking it easy.


B. 250 double unders in as few sets as possible in under (10-minute time cap)

Since the clock was less of a factor in this one, as long as you can get under the 10-minute time cap, I decided to take good breaks between the sets and regain my breath so I could maximize the number of DUs in each set.  It seemed to work out well.  Consistently getting sets of 30+ double unders is better than I would typically expect.

7 sets.

Set # -> Total reps (including previous)
1.  48
2.  80
3.  116
5.  151
5.  186
6.  220
7.  250


C. 10-minute AMRAP - 20 sandbag lunges and 10 push-ups

The sandbags were held across the back. 

I completed the first round in under a minute and things slowed way down after that.

7 rounds exactly.  I wanted to get one extra lunge in at the end, but couldn't get the sandbag up in time.

No comments: